Thursday 7 November 2013

Re-Start

This blog covers the success or failure in constructing a Flying Legend Tucano Replica at Rylstone Airpark, but all journeys have a start. This journey began about 12 months ago with a continuing itch to build an aircraft but have not flown for many decades my wife granted permission to do a few hours on the basis that it would satisfy that itch. 

The most cost-effective option was ultralights, so I drove to the Oaks Airport outside Sydney and introduced myself to the CFI who showed the two available training options a Jabiru J230 and J160After being shown a J160 cost was not such an object, so I said "I take the bigger one mate" and duly booked in for my first flight. 

On the morning of the booking I drove to the airfield, it was a beautiful Sydney spring morning, and I was greeted by John who was to be my instructor. John said he was taking me for my first flight and we began to walk towards an early model J160. Fear now began to swamp my mental processes, and in my mind, I was now running at a 100 mph to anywhere. John walked me around the aircraft and all the items I would like to see on an aeroplane like a wing, motor, rudder, elevator, etc. and all where my memory of BAK said they should be, but this thing was a mini-me...! 

At this point words like "be a man, John's not shown any sign of fear"  kept me from turning thought into concrete action. 

John instructed me on the best was to enter the cockpit, and I made a quick mental note that if I lived, I would have to see my physiotherapist if I was to be able to enter and exit in future with any dignity. Once in the left-hand seat, it began to seem more reasonable, and I mumbled something like "its about the same size as a 150" but that voice in my head reminded me that I never liked 150's. With nowhere to run I duly turned on the master,  two mag switches and shouted "Clear prop". Pushing the starter button the engine sprung into life and settled to a 1000 rpm idle. 

On a 160 Jabiru the throttle is between your legs, and one has to think the designer might be telling you something, but the run-up was completed, boost pump and anti-collision light on, and all there was to do is line up and apply full power. 

The flight is a 30-minute blur, but on return to the Oaks Airfield, a passable landing was achieved which would be the last one for many an hour. Again one of the great joys of flying that I had missed overwhelmed me again, that view from a cockpit of grinding down a glide slope, so like any addict, I was hooked still. I now am on the way to a new licence, but that will have to slow down until next year as I have a hanger to build, but that is a story for later. 

In conclusion why to write about this - well I have realised in 60 years that action comes only from commitment and writing is the start of a renewed commitment. Commitment can and does lead us all to failure but to fear failure leads to becoming a spectator, not a participant.


Have fun..!



No comments: